XPO warehouses in Milton Keynes must comply with social distancing rules or close to protect workers and public
GMB, the union in the logistics sector, is calling on XPO Logistics to radically revise working arrangements in warehouses both in and around Milton Keynes, to comply with social distancing requirements to protect the health of members working in these warehouses as well as the general public.If it proves not to be possible at any workplaces then the company should operations there during the public health emergency.
GMB LONDON CALL ON XPO TO RADICALLY REVISE WORKING IN MILTON KEYNES WAREHOUSES TO COMPLY WITH SOCIAL DISTANCING RULES AND IF NOT POSSIBLE TO CLOSE DURING HEALTH EMERGENCY
The nation’s supermarket chains have introduced radical changes to the way people use their stores and this has to happen in the warehouses too says GMB London
GMB, the union in the logistics sector, Is calling on XPO Logistics to radically revise working arrangements in warehouses both in and around Milton Keynes, to comply with social distancing requirements to protect the health of members working in these warehouses as well as the general public.If it proves not to be possible at any workplaces then the company should operations there during the public health emergency.
XPO has two warehouses in Milton Keynes with a high percentage of GMB membership, LVMH in Kingston near Milton Keynes which processes orders for retailers of cosmetics, and at Marston Gate which deals with Adidas sportswear and shoes.. Overall there are around 150 staff at work in these two warehouses.
Richard Owen, GMB Regional officer, said “Although some measures of social distancing have been introduced in communal areas some workers are being forced to work in close proximity to each other within the restrictive confines of the picking areas. This clearly runs counter to the government’s strictures around social distancing.
Yesterday I wrote to the company, expressing dismay at the company’s continuing commitment to keeping the warehouses running while not complying with the social distancing requirements.
Of course, I understand the company has a commitment to making money, but surely there has to come a point when common sense, and an appreciation of the bigger picture, i.e, public health has to be everyone’s priority.
We rightly frown at people congregating in parks and indeed, up mountains, and some are willing to countenance companies risking lives, (potentially many lives) by insisting that workers continue to move themselves, and the virus, around so that we can continue to distribute cosmetics and training shoes.
The nation’s supermarket chains have introduced radical changes to the way people use their stores to comply with the social distancing requirements and the public have responded appropriately. The same thing has to happen in the warehouses too. This will clearly slow down the operation, like it has the supermarkets, but has to be done if it is possible. If not the only option is to close during this emergency.
So unless these operations can be made to effectively comply with social distancing recommendations, - XPO needs to get their heads out from wherever they have them at the moment, and let our members stay at home, and protect themselves and the rest of society from this appalling threat.”
The attitude of ‘We’ll keep going until we’re ordered not to’ is completely irresponsible, and puts everyone at risk.
We believe that these workers should be furloughed, that XPO can receive a tax-payer funded subsidy of 80% of salaries, and should make up the remaining 20% from the huge savings from Utility bills, transport costs etc. which would be saved.
History will not look kindly on individuals or organisations which put their own selfish interests ahead of their fellow citizens.”
Contact Richard Owen on 07974 179285
Or GMB press office 07970 019643